Sunday 30 November 2014

VERRRY VEGAN

Recipe: Vegan-Oatmeal-Choc-Chip-Peanut-Butter-Banana-Bread
(I kid you not)

Adapted and Britishized from the original ‘Baker Bettie’ recipe which can be found here:
Time Taken: 1 hour
Ingredients: 250g porridge oats, 3 bananas, 120g peanut putter, 100g dark brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon & 200g chocolate chips.

Good evening readers,
Todayyyy it’s Sunday! The day of rest. The day of the week where you literally are required by the world to expect nothing of yourself. And then even less. The day when putting clothes on… that’s optional. Normally I work on Sundays, but due to my lurgy tonsils I’m not allowed to serve food! So I’m on a holiday from going to work. Cue a mini rave n PARTAY.
And this isn’t the only reason that today is special. Also, this Sunday is the last day in November. There are 3 reasons why this is spectacular…
 1) Our advent calendars begin tomorrow. Mine is a Frozen calendar and I’m very excited to open the first door. And eat chocolate.
 
2) Tomorrow the cleaning rota flips to a new month and we all switch responsibilities. I’m sad not to be in charge of stairs and hallways anymore (total piss-take), but it’s nice because everyone’s tidying their zone ready to hand it over. So the house is LOOKIN’ GOOOOD.
 
3) We’re putting our Christmas decorations up! With just ten days until flat Christmas, we’re going to go for it tonight and we’re going to deck the halls!
 
In such high spirits I decided to treat the house today and bake a banana bread! This is always cause for celebration and some light Hayley-worship, so I never mind the cost or the time taken to prepare it or anything. They donate elderly bananas. I love to bake, and I love to eat banana bread as much as my flatmates do. All is good.
For a while, my flatmates having been calling for me to try out a special new banana bread recipe that they found on Pinterest, so I caved to demand and checked it out. It took some converting of ingredients from US cups to UK grams, and it was a bit of a botched job in the kitchen after a major oat spill and some blender troubles, but this has turned out really well. SO WELL. IT TASTES LIKE HEAVEN. YOU HAVE TO DO IT.
Here’s how…
1. Preheat your oven to 180˚C and use some kitchen towel to wipe a little oil around the edges and bottom of a loaf tin in order to grease it the vegan way.
2. Peel your bananas, place them in a bowl and mash them to a pulp.
3. Put your oats into a blender and pulse to a fine crumb until the oats look almost like flour.
4. Add all your remaining ingredients MINUS THE CHOC CHIPS to the blender. Splash a little tapwater over the top so you mix isn’t too dry and blenddddddddddd.
ChefBeHere Top Top: If, like me, you only have a small smoothie machine not a proper blender, halve all of your ingredients and blend half first and then the other half afterwards.
5. Pour your loaf mix into a mixing bowl and tip in three quarters of your choc chips. Save a quarter for now.
6. Stir it up! Pour this finished loaf mix into your prepared loaf tin.
7. Smooth the top of your loaf so that it’s surface is even and then sprinkle your remaining choc chips over the top of it.
8. Safely transport your loaf into the oven and leave to bake for half an hour.
9. After half an hour, test the middle of the loaf by stabbing it with a knife. If the knife comes out clean then remove your loaf from the oven. If it has mix on it still leave your loaf for another five minutes and keeping checking it every five minutes until it’s baked all the way through.
10. Leave your loaf to cool in its tin for twenty minutes. Then run a sharp knife around the edge of the tin and either shuffle your loaf onto a cooling rack to cool fully, or slice your loaf up and feed it warm to hungry flatmates! Tuck in!
And you should be feasting on something that looks like THIS!
 
Up close and personal with my loaf :P
 
Plated! Not for very long… Muahahahaha...
 
Do you love it? Loaf it? Has your life been changed? I know mine has. Peanut butter goes with banana so well there just aren't words. I have no words.
And what do you think of the veganness of the recipe? I did not mind the lack of flour, butter or eggs. I didn’t really notice. Didn’t miss them whatsoever. What wasn’t there? I could literally be vegan if it meant I could eat this loaf everyday forever. It’s my eternal loaf.

Blend n bake safely kids,
Hayley


No comments:

Post a Comment