Sunday 28 December 2014

GOOD INTENTIONS

Hi lovely readers,

Oh how I’ve missed you all!

So this is my first post in a few days, as it’s (obviously) been Christmas. It’s been a lovely Christmas! I’ve had a wonderful last few days. Christmas for me has been spent chilling at home with family, and then venturing out to meet up with friends. Eating lots of FOOD. Trying to walk off the food. Spending my Christmas money. Watching too many films. Ignoring all my uni work. You know.
 
How about you?? Has your Christmas been a good one? The best yet? Did it go how you’d expected? And did people like the gifts you’d bought?
 
I think the gifts I gave were well received (at least I hope they were!). Matching onesies for my dad and brother were the best shout I ever made. Here where I live, though, no one could have predicted the amount of snow we would get. Like a foot of it? We’ve been blanketed! As a result, I know Boxing Day ended with epic journeys for many people when the snow meant nobody could drive. There was many a Sheffielder attempting a mammoth cross-city trek by foot on Boxing Day. And we’ve all been skidding about throwing snowballs ever since! I think that’s how this Christmas will be remembered here. How do you think you’ll remember this Christmas?
 
Sadly, readers, I must report that I haven’t been much of a chef in the kitchen this week! I’ve been awful and have no new recipes to write about, sorry. And I am sorry! I promise tons of new recipes for you in the New Year. PROMISE.
 
It’s because of the New Year that I’ve chosen to write to you today. This post is a break from my usual recipe-based posts, and it doesn’t really relate to food. I just missed writing to you! I’ve been thinking a lot today, readers, about the New Year. There’s only 3 days to go now until it’s 2015. This is somewhat horrifying. VERY horrifying. And yesterday I turned 20 and a half. Cause for panic.
 
But, in fact, I’m getting excited for the New Year. I’ve decided I’m having a fresh start! A lot of people do this at this time each year, I know, and it’s SUCH A CLICHÉ! But do I care? Hell no. I’ve thought up some new life goals that I’m excited to be taking up in the New Year, and I’m sharing them with you here.
 
So, I’m calling these goals my Good Intentions. As I don’t like to use the term 'Resolutions.' To me, I guess, being resolute sounds very set-jawed. Pretty much no fun. Instead, I’m hoping to ENJOY having a crack at these goals. To karate chop my way towards success Po/Jack Black-style. Like a Kung Fu Panda yeah (far too many films in one week). And to just intend to achieve my Intentions. See if I do. And to keep choosing to stick to them! Rather than powering on by default because I’m ‘resolute’.
 
Here are my big bad, all-star Good Intentions for 2015:
1. To get fit. I’m not kidding, I used to run. And possessed muscles. I love running! For me, there’s no better way to channel energy than pounding it into a pavement. And you feel ace about yourself by the end. But I got running trainers for my birthday this summer and I’ve barely put them on! It’s terrible! Well, no more. I’m running off my cobwebs in the New Year. This time in a month? I’m going to be a lean, mean running machine! And then keep it up.
Here’s me and my Father Bear running for Sports Relief so many moons ago
 
2. To commit to my yoga. No half arsed weekly salutations. No not-quite-reaching-my-toes. I’m going to roll my mat out every day, even if it’s just to lie with my legs up a wall. I’m going to get my headstand back. Work on strengthening my back. Let go of stress.
My favourite Instagram account is yoga_girl
(Rachel inspires me every day)
 
3. To eat as if my body were a temple. Or a plant I were trying to grow. Or as if I were pregnant and deliberately not feeding shit to my unborn baby (I’m not). I’m going to eat all the right things and hopefully feel really good for it! I’m going to be eating green and clean. Without eating small or obsessive. Cue loads of superstar health recipes for you to read about!
This was my lunch at Pizza Express yesterday and it was a dream
 
4. To complete my degree as a sane, whole person. And pass it, preferably. No meltdowns or panic attacks or quitting. No falling out with my friends or my family. Less grinding my teeth in my sleep. I’m going to take it one day at a time. And try to find some enjoyment in each day. And get through it. And graduate!
I hope they draw rainbows on us again in the library
 
5. To travel. Once I graduate and attend my cousin’s wedding, I’m out of here! To visit as many warm and incredible faraway places as I can possibly afford. Live my dream and leave the UK behind!
My new tattoo on my foot reminds me of what is to come
 
And there you have it! Those are my Good Intentions for 2015. Only the next year will tell how I do with them. I’m feeling very determined. And wishing myself luck. The mood is positive and hopeful.
 
Have you thought about maybe setting yourself some Good Intentions for the New Year? I know this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. But Intentions don’t have to be written down like mine. They needn’t be official or upheld. They’re just a whim. Maybe you want something from 2015 that’s been missing from 2014? Or you want to keep something good going that you’ve already started? Or there’s a new path you’re going to take? Intend to make it happen.
 
And on January the 1st it’s going to be like BOOM. There’s going to be SWARMS of runners. And I’m going to be one of them! Riding the wave of fresh starts! Will you be there?

I hope this is food for thought for you, readers! Wishing you health and happiness in the New Year. So, I’m not really one for quotes. I think a lot of them don’t make sense. Or they’re misunderstood. Or they’re just bullshit. But I’m going to leave you with a few inspiring quotes, which I intend to tape to my wall in the New Year. They’re the wisdom behind my Good Intentions. And I’ll see you in 2015!
Drink safely this NYE,
Hayley

 
Wisdom
“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus
 
 
 
“Love yourself enough to live a healthy lifestyle.” – Namaste_25 (Instagram account)

 
 
“When I reach the age of Twenty
I will explore this world of plenty
In a motorized bird myself I will sit
And soar into space oh! so brightly lit
I will float, I will fly to the world so lovely, so far
I will float, I will fly above rivers and sea
The cloud is my sister, the wind a brother to me.”
 
Avraham (Abramek) Koplowicz, b. 1930.

Avraham was a young man held in the Łódź ghetto in Poland during World War II. He was taken from this ghetto on the final transport to make the journey to Auschwirz-Birkenau in 1944 and there he was killed at age fourteen. I found his words in a Jodi Picoult novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment