Tuesday 16 December 2014

PLUMBLE

Recipe: Apple and plum crumble
Time taken: 1 ¼ hours
Ingredients: 100g plain flour, 50g marg, 100g sugar, 50g oats, 4 plums and an apple

Hi readers,

Just a fleeting post today, I’m afraid. A quickie! Having slept til almost noon this morning (it’s Christmassss) and then committed to totally finishing all Christmas shopping today (ugh Christmassss) I’ve been running around like a loon! But I DID IT. I achieved! It is DONE for another year. No more. I have wrapped that shit and I’m freeee to move on. Live life again.

And yesterday, I also achieved. I got back to cooking! That’s right. I cooked! My best friend, who I haven’t seen since summer, came over for a wine at mine to catch up! It was a proper girls night in.

Me and the Besty through the years

And I cooked! I made my fabulous maple-roasted root veg to go with some Linda McCartney cheese n leek plaits, then for dessert I rustled up an apple and plum crumble! That’s right, I found ANOTHER USE FOR PLUMS!!

Me? Obsessed with plums? Nooooooo!

Here’s how to make the magic happen…

1.       Heat your oven to 180ᵒC. (I went for 200ᵒC and this was too much, I ended up with burnt patches on the top of my crumble! What a shame! I think 180ᵒC is a safer bet for you to try.)

2.       Remove the stones from your plums, then chop up your plums and apples.

ChefBeHere Top Tip: Leave the skins on your fruit! That’s where all the goodness is. :)

3.       Grease an oven proof dish with a little butter.

4.       Tip your fruit into the dish and sprinkle with a couple of tablespoons of sugar.

5.       Measure your flour, marg and 50g of your sugar into a bowl.

6.       Rub together with your fingers, until the mix looks like fine breadcrumbs.

7.       Add your oats and stir them into the crumble mix.
8.       Spoon your crumble mix over the top of your fruit, so that all the fruit is covered.

9.       Sprinkle a couple more tablespoons of sugar over the top.

10.   Bake in the oven for 45 minutes! Serve lovely n warm, with a good dollop of custard.

And here’s how apple and plum crumble looks!
(Minus burning, that was my bad)



Plums in crumble is THE BOMB! I’m telling you, readers. I already loved apple crumble and this just made it even more tastier. This was a stroke of ChefBeHereing genius! Adding plums  to this crumble doubled the fruit and doubled the greatness. This was reeeeally tasty, if I may say so. And the Besty said so, too! Plus, she’d bought red velvet cupcakes along, so we literally had the biggest bowls of pudding, all smothered in custard. There were no complaints from either of us!

Alas, readers, I’m off now to go catch up with more friends. This is such a fun time of the year. But if you have any time to spare this Christmas, why not treat your friends and family to some plum and apple crumble?? Try it out! And let me know what you think! I was really happy with how this came out (despite the burnt bits haha) and I’m definitely going to be trying plums in crumble, again sometime soon. Maybe plums with berries might work to make a really red, fruity crumble? Mmm. Or plums with another stoned fruit perhaps, like peach? Not a bad idea. So shout out any plum crumble combinations you think would be a hit, readers, and go give them a go in the kitchen!

Crumble safely this Christmas,


Hayley



No comments:

Post a Comment