Wednesday 3 December 2014

SOMETHING I HASHED TOGETHER

Recipe: Sweet potato, kale & veggie sausage hash

Time taken: Half an hour

Ingredients: A little oil, 4 veggie sausages, a large sweet potato (scrubbed), a large leek (white part only), 2 mugfuls of kale, a couple of sprigs of thyme (if you have them), and salt and pepper to taste

Hi readers,

Warm Wednesday? Not a chance! This morning we had our first proper frost in Newcastle! I crunched away to the Metro this morning past cars with glittering roofs. Everything was iced over and I was freezing my toes off! I hope you’ve been wrapped up warm today.

Luckily, I was getting the Metro this morning to go catch the Megabus home! So I’m a little less north than I was this morning. I’ve travelled down to Sheffield and it’s still pretty cold here admittedly, but it’s easy to forget when you’re in a properly heated house. I’m warm, readers! So warm and I’m typing from a settee filled with cushions and it’s all so nice and lovely.

The view from where I sit…

And I’ve cracked out my Christmas jumper!

So our version of home-cooked grub and family time isssss a lot like a sandwich from the garage and my dad asleep in his chair. But I’m home and it’s warm! 

Today, seeing as I’m away from my uni kitchen with all of my ingredients, I’m going to share with you a recipe that I made another day. I cooked this recipe a few weeks ago and it’s a reeeeeeeally decent winter warmer. Also, I’m pretty sure this recipe is one of the healthiest you’ll find on my blog. It’s a winner!

Here’s the magazine photo that inspired me to try hash…

Now, I can’t actually remember which magazine I found this in. Sorry readers. This recipe, it aint mine! But as to who’s it is I don’t know. I saved it in my phone and chucked the original. So somebody clever out there invented this and I send my thanks to them. But it may remain a mystery who it was. So, a hash is just throwing things together in a pan and I think this one is genius.

Here’s how to muddle your hash together…

1. Turn on your oven or grill (depending on how you want to cook your sausages).

2. Chop up your sweet potato into small cubes. The smaller the cubes, the faster they cook.

3. Cut your leek in half long ways and slice it up. Slice your kale thinly, too.

4. Put your veggie sausages in to cook as it says to do on the packet.

ChefBeHere Top Tip: When I made this I used some Asda Lincolnshire veggie sausages from the freezer and it taster really good. But you can use any type! Be it Quorn, Linda McCartney, Cauldron... I think just pick your favourite veggie sausage.

5. Meanwhile, drizzle some oil in a large frying pan, and add the sweet potato, leeks and thyme.

6. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until your sweet potato softens. It will take 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of the potato cubes.

7. When your sausages are ready, get them out and safely chop them into pieces without burning your fingers!

8. Add the sausage and kale to your pan.

9. Keep cooking, stirring occasionally, until your kale has wilted. This takes 3-5 minutes, depending on your kale variety.

 10. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over your hash and bowl it up! This makes 2 servings, so I saved one in the fridge and microwaved it for my tea the next day. Job done.

My smashing hash!

What do you think?? Is this your first hash? Has it convinced you of the power of a good hash? Or are you a seasoned hasher? In which case, does this compare?? Hash feedback, please!

I for one thought that this was a seriously tasty tea. I’ve not eaten kale many times before, but this was definitely my best taste of it. I admit it’s not my favourite green but I didn’t mind it here. And I love veggie sausages and sweet potato and leeks. So this recipe got a big thumbs up!

Maybe to mix it up, I might try a hash with swede or squash one time instead of sweet potato. And I’m sure you could sub kale for something like spinach, if you’re not a fan. Plus, of course, your sausages don’t have to be veggie if you aren’t pro-pig like me. 

But think of the piglets people.

And hash on,

Hayley

Ps. I got a new filtering app on my phone, hence jazzy photos.

Pps. My flatmates tried banana muffins from yesterday, and my dad too, and I hear nothing but good words.



No comments:

Post a Comment