Friday 6 March 2015

TASTES OF GREECE

Greek Summer Bites
Time taken: Half an hour
Ingredients: A sweet potato, 2 tomatoes, an avocado, 100g feta cheese, a teaspoon of salt, ½ a teaspoon of cumin, ½ a teaspoon of paprika, a tablespoon of oil & a tablespoon of lemon juice.

Hi readers,
I write to you at the end of a beautiful day in Newcastle! Today here there’s been the most glorious sunshine. It’s literally been a snapshot of summer. I’m not saying that we’ve seen the back of winter quite yet, perhaps, but today the weather’s been lush. Residents of Newcastle may have even seen me strolling about without a coat on! I still had my gloves on yes, but today the coat stayed behind.
It’s very inspiring. Last night, the geography students of Newcastle Uni were in town totally en masse to celebrate the end of our dissertation work. Me and my friends met for lunch and cocktails during the day (An event which somehow lasted 5 hours! That’s a lot of cocktails! ) and then we retired home to freshen up and in need of some more food. This break was a wise move for sure.
Then we were back out again! We danced TO THE MAX. It was such, such a good night! The girls looked beautiful. We went to Flares for the cheesiest tunes in Newcastle and, of all the geographers there, I think we were singing the loudest! We busted some spectacular moves and then, having been drinking all day, called it quits sometime after 1am. We got chips and went home.
This has to be the best day I’ve had in such a long time!! And I feel like all the other girls did, too. This was so well deserved. We drank some gorgeous drinks and had all-day fun, and most of us managed not to overdo it and we came away able to remember our night and feeling good. I’m quite proud of myself. The girls ended on a high!
Then, today, no hangover!! It’s a miracle! I managed a full night’s sleep for the first time in a long time, then got myself up for breakfast and off to yoga. I had a lovely practice and walking there and back in the fresh spring air was lovely. Everything feels fresh today and lots of flowers are coming into bloom.
So I had a spring clean of my room and the flat here. The ChefBeHere kitchen got a spruce up! It felt good to file away all my dissertation notes, and organise the notes for my modules that I’ll be continuing on with, now that the dissertation is over. Out with the old and in with the new!
Do you feel like spring has sprung quite yet, readers?? I hope you’ve started to see blue skies and flower buds wherever it is that you’re living. Take a walk and breathe the fresh air! Today has the definite feeling of being the start of something. A new beginning.
And I have the best of intentions! So, tonight, even though it’s Friday Night Pizza Night… I went crazy and cooked up a spring-filled storm in the kitchen. Instead of pizza, tonight I tried out a tasty, flavoursome, colourful, health-packed new meal, instead! I went OFF THE RAILS.
This recipe was inspired by one I found on a blog called Blissful Basil, which you can read HERE. And it’s such a good idea! This recipe is for sweet potato bites, which I put a spin on using feta cheese. This I had in the fridge and always reminds me of times that I’ve spent on holiday abroad. Feta stirs up memories of summer nights by the coast in Greece or Turkey, with warm, salty air and a beautiful sunset over the sea.
Feeling so full of Spring today, I really didn’t fancy eating the heavy, winter food that I’ve been cooking up over recent months. A fresh start means fresh food! And this recipe works a treat. A very flavoursome and guilt-free, summertime treat.
You could craft a plateful of Greek Summer Bites to eat as a meal for one if, like me, you fancy some light food to match your end-of-winter mood. Or you could throw these together, perhaps, to share as a starter among friends if you’re cooking them a meal? Or how about you serve up a plateful of Greek Summer Bites as snacks during a film you watch this weekend? So many options, readers!
To throw together a batch of Greek Summer Bites in ten easy steps, here’s what to do…
1. Heat your oven to 200˚C.
2. Slice your sweet potato up, so that you create around ten circular discs of potato.
3. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ a teaspoon of cumin and ½ a teaspoon of paprika in a bowl, along with a tablespoon of oil. Stir it up!
4. Line a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper. One by one, coat your potato discs in your oil mix and then spread the discs out on the baking tray.
5. Safely transport into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until tender.
6. Meanwhile, chop your avocado in half and remove the stone from its centre. Scoop the flesh of the avocado into a small bowl.
7. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice and a big pinch of salt to the bowl, then mash together with the back of a fork.
8. Chop your tomatoes each up into 5 pieces, however you like!
9. Carefully remove your tray from the oven and tip your potato discs onto a plate. Spread each one with guacamole (your avocado mash), then top with a piece of tomato and crumble feta cheese over the top.
10. Return to the oven to warm for a couple of minutes, until your cheese begins to melt. Then serve up!
My plateful of Greek Summer Bites…
That, really, is all there is to it. This recipe is very simple and takes no time or hassle at all to follow. And provides 3 of your 5-a-day of fruit n veg. :) Thank you Blissfully Basil for the inspiration for this dish! I really enjoyed the taste of Greek Summer Bites and found that feta cheese made for a welcome addition to the original recipe. These Bites get my ChefBeHere thumbs up for sure!
Readers, wherever you are and whatever the weather may be doing where you live, get your ingredients in and give Greek Summer Bites a try! This is a move that you definitely won’t regret. Summer will be in your heart for sure, after a feta-fied kitchen Chef session!
Then send your thoughts my way about what you think of Greek Summer Bites! Do you like them? Do you like the idea? Did the recipe work well for you?? Of course, the ultimate question, do these Bites taste like summer to you, readers? Which tastes spring to mind when you imagine your summers gone by? I would love to know.
Fingers crossed the blue skies and warm climes are here to stay!

Spring safely,
Hayley


No comments:

Post a Comment