Thursday 16 November 2017

Spanish adventure and foooooood

Recipe of the week...
... Grilled Seabass & Heritage Tomato Salad

Ingredients: 2 fillets seabass, 400g mixed heritage tomatoes, 1 shallot, 2 tablespoons small capers, 1 tablespoon sliced black olives, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ½ teaspoon pimenton, 1 teaspoon honey, 3 tablespoons good quality olive oil, a small handful of fresh mint and basil leaves, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Serves: 2 platefuls of good Spanish grub

Time taken: 10 minutes prep then 25 mins cooking time


Hi readers,

How are you all?? Are you well? And wonderful? As I write, it’s a cold and dark November night in Sheffield. Pretty chilly out and cosy inside! I’ve just eaten a delicious dinner (recipe to follow…) and am steeling myself to head out into the night for the pub quiz. How about you, readers? I hope you have lovely evening plans, or – blissfully – no plans at all!

It’s been a shock coming back off holiday to this cold, readers. I spent 5 nights last week in the lovely, sunny Barcelona. And I was ready to come home for my own bed, and a return to normalness, and crumpets and all that… but – what am I saying?? Take me back!



Take me back to the warm sun on my skin, and a total lack of an alarm clock, daylight in the morning and daylight in an evening, too. Take me back to warm croissants and freshly squeezed Spanish orange juice, bustling markets and sizzling paella, cracking open a cool Estrella on the hot sandy beach. Take me back to crazy Gaudi architecture and little winding Gothic streets, with Catalan flags proudly strewn over every balcony.


SIGH sigh sigh sigh… oh well, readers. I miss Barcelona but most good things do tend to come to an end. It was a welcome break from the everyday, and I have some holiday spirit still brightening my November. And I’m still telling the grand story of my holiday, featuring all the most exciting moments from my solo adventure abroad, the wonder that is Find My iPhone, and surprising kindness from strangers…


I will stop now, readers. Going on about my holiday and ever so SLIGHTLY rubbing it in, for anyone who hasn’t also escaped abroad for some November sunshine. But, I will say – if you get the chance to go to Barcelona, definitely do. There’s the beach, there’s the food, and culture, and history, and anything more you might ever want from a holiday… with EXCELLENT tapas and sangria. Not to be missed. And I’m DONE gloating!


This week, readers, our recipe of the week is one inspired by my recent trip to Barcelona. This is a recipe I found within a menu at my hostel, the Generator Barcelona. I didn’t actually eat at my hostel – per se – mainly I was just drinking sangria. But I was merrily leafing through a menu at one point and happened upon this colourful-looking Spanish recipe, for Grilled Seabass & Heritage Tomato Salad, which I vowed I would defo recreate when I made it back home.

Now I must confess, readers, despite my absolute determine to recreate this recipe… I did fall short on a weekday evening shop with sourcing all the right ingredients. So, my first attempt at this Grilled Seabass & Heritage Tomato Salad does feature seabream instead of seabass, paprika instead of pimenton, and cherry tomatoes instead of heritage. Not my best effort! But tasting great all the same.

If you fancy a taste of the Barcelona sunshine, on a cold and dark evening, then this light summers dish could be just the perfect antidote to your wintery world. Here’s the recipe, readers, in just ten simple steps…

--

Recipe: Grilled Seabass & Heritage Tomato Salad

1.     Set the scene… I’m thinking a few candles lit, a glass of Spanish wine in hand (maybe a rioja? or a tempranillo?), some traditional Spanish flamenco music playing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0hpxQ9H87M).

2.     Begin by trimming the sea bass (or bream) so the edges are clean and tidy and the fillets are both the same shape. Pat the skin dry, and then use a sharp knife to score the skin every centimetre.

3.     Slice the tomatoes randomly into halves and quarters. Don’t worry, different shapes and sizes look nice for variation. Rinse and roughly chop the capers, then finely dice the shallot, and roughly chop your mint and basil leaves.

4.     Add the olive oil, honey, lemon juice and pimenton to a large mixing bowl. Mix and season to taste.

5.     Then, add the shallots, capers, black olives, sliced tomatoes and ¾ of the mint and basil leaves. Stir together your salad.

6.     Heat a non-stick frying pan – or, even better, a grill pan – until very hot. Meanwhile, season the fish with a little salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil on both sides.

ChefBeHere Top Tip: Randomly, I decided to use my George Foreman grill instead of a grill pan… and it worked! I definitely got lucky there, readers. Could have gone terribly wrong. But, if you have a George Foreman, I say go for it!

7.     Add a couple of drops of oil to the pan and place a square of greaseproof paper on it. Lay the fish fillets on the paper in the pan, skin-side down. As soon as they go in, press each fillet down with your fingers to stop them from curling up.

8.     After a few minutes, once your fish looks to be around 75% cooked, carefully turn it over and cook for a further minute. Then remove from the pan and set aside.

9.     Dish up your tomato salad in the centre of two dinner plates and place the sea bass, skin up, on top.

10.  Drizzle with some olive oil and the rest of the chopped mint and basil leaves… then serve up! Enjoy a fine tasting Spanish tea.

Mmmmmmmmmm yeah!

--

And that’s all there is to it, readers! Not too tricky, I don’t think? If you’re a better chef than me and you manage to actually get all the ingredients then who knows maybe this tastes even better than my first attempt tonight! I certainly plan to give the recipe another go with the full roster of ingredients soon.

Let me know what you think, readers. Is this dish something you’ve tried before? Something you’ve ordered in Spain while holidaying, maybe?? Does this look like the kind of food you’d like to try? I’d love to hear your thoughts! I’m still new to the world of fish eating, having only started up eating fish very recently, so I’m easily pleased and thought this was a simple but exciting tea – would you agree?

Shout out with your thoughts on this Grilled Seabass & Heritage Tomato Salad, readers, and please do let me know how you get on in the kitchen! Did it all go to plan? Any disasters to speak of? Is there anything you’d do differently? Can you improve on this recipe at all??

Until we meet again – have a great weekend, everyone!

Salad safely,

Hayley


And GO TO BARCELONA!



No comments:

Post a Comment