Thursday 2 November 2017

Ten thing to be grateful for... and food to make you go PHWOAR!

Scrambled Eggs with Spinach
on Smoked Salmon Toast

Ingredients: 2 slices of bread, a pack of smoked salmon, 2 eggs, a large handful of fresh spinach leaves, a splash of milk, a splash of olive oil, salt and pepper to season.

Time taken: 15 mins max.


Hi readers,

How are you today? Are you having a cracking week so far?? Karate chopping your way towards the weekend? Dreams of bonfires and sparklers and fireworks? I hope everything is going wonderfully well for you, readers, and you have fun plans for Bonfire Night to look forward to.

And if you’re reading this, feeling stressy, thinking NO everything is not going wonderfully bloody well. I’m having a terribly day/week/life. Then, why not have a go at writing down the things you’re grateful for? To remind you? Sounds annoying. Is NOT annoying. I sat for half an hour this morning and found ten things in life right now to be happy about…

--

Ten things I’m grateful for on Thursday 2nd November 2017:

1.     Get togethers with friends. I think it’s easy nowadays, with social media, to feel connected with friends but not actually see each other. Which is a bit pants! You miss out on hugs and laughing together. It can be an effort to meet up with friends, really in real life, but I find it’s definitely worth it. I got to go to a Halloween party at a friend’s last weekend and have another friend visiting for tea tonight – winning!


2.     New possibilities. Readers, I’ve joined a new gym. Yes, I have and am in the I’m-so-excited-I’m-going-seven-times-a-week phase of a new gym membership. To clarify: I haven’t actually been yet. BUT I’m so excited I feel as if I could go every day. And this gym may be the best one yet because friends are members too – so hopefully we can hook up and make it to classes together – and because I’m going to ask them how then weight machines work. Then, use them. Prepare for impressive arm pics…

3.     A good book. Last weekend, readers, I sat down to read The Book of Dust, by Philip Pullman. Has anyone read it yet? What a brilliant read! For anyone who’s read the original His Dark Materials trilogy and fancies a return to the world of Lyra and Jordan College, the Rusakov field and Dust, Mrs Coulter and Lord Asriel, witches and daemons… I do recommend. I’m now planning to re-read the original trilogy.


4.     My colleagues. This may sound random – but they’re the people I see more than any other people. And they’re a great bunch! Will after school club be on? Will the baby sitter show, so they can finally get a night out together? Will the shower head arrive or will she have to keep showering at work? Is he ever going to get that tattoo, or is it all talk? Is a hangover even worth it anymore? Might seem boring to some, but I think my colleagues are fab. And they’re very complementary about my baking.

5.     Interesting new interests. So, my knitting’s coming along well readers. I’ve maybe made around ten knitted squares now and still enjoy knitting away while I watch Scandi crime shows in an evening. Dreaming of the knitted blanket I will one day have made. It’s cosy. And ALSO randomly my work have a project to do with girls’ and women’s football, and so I went along to a WSL game last weekend for Sheffield FC Ladies “as research”… and got really into it. I think I’ll go along again to support!


6.     A return to enjoyable running. Finally, readers, after four weeks of shit runs following the 10K race in September – I seem to have recovered. Four weeks of being out of breath, having an outfit malfunction, being thirsty, an ankle popping mid-run, having to stop to walk sooner than I’d planned… I was about ready to throw in the towel and declare the 10K to be my peak as a runner. Just retire and live for the memories. But, then, I’ve had a few good runs! And all is well again, it’s a relief.

7.     CDs in the car. I accidentally pressed some button on my car radio a few weeks ago readers, meaning I tuned out of radio and onto some other planet wavelength. One without singalong tunes. SO I did what all technophobes would do – gave up on radio, resigned myself to a life without it, and bought a load of old CDs from a charity shop instead. I got Madonna, Stereophonics, Dido, Joss Stone, Scissor Sisters… it’s been a karaoke party in my car ever since. And my Father Bear’s just done me a copy of Jessie Ware’s latest album, Glasshouse, so the tuuuuunes are set to continue.


8.     Laughs! I went along to the Comedy Club at Leadmill last night and we got a good bunch of comedians. Tickets are only £6 and you really never know what you’re in for… could be good, could be diabolical. But this month it was good! We got Paul Tonkinson as the headliner and I laughed so much I did cry a little bit at one point. Hadn’t seen his comedy before, but I do recommend. He’s a funny chap.

9.     A holiday. That’s right, readers, I kid you not – for the first time in over two years I’m going away on a holiday. I head off to Spain on Sunday, for five nights in Barcelona, entirely on my own… and I can’t wait. It’s kind of scary, the prospect of going away on my own. But, mainly, it’s super exciting. I’ve never been to Barcelona before, and I’ve never been abroad in winter, and I’ve never gone on holiday just by myself. But I’m a grown up now and I’m pretty sure this is going to be incredibly fun. Wish me luck! And check the ChefBeHere insta feed over the next week for snaps of Spanish foods and drinks (hopefully, in the sunshine!).


10.  Tasty food and drink. Sounds a cop out writing this on a food blog? Well, I’m writing it anyway! As I’ve been eating and drinking some delightful things lately. And I so easily fall into ruts and unhappy times with food, so I’m really grateful for this. Like, pineapple seems to be really good right now. Maybe it’s in season somewhere in the world? And, an espresso martini… have you had one of these, readers? Because I had my first ever one last month and it tasted SO GOOD. My new favourite cocktail.

Then, there’s fish. Confession time: I recently started eating fish again for the first time in a decade, for a bit of a change and to introduce more variety to my diet, and I’m enjoying it. A lot. I hope it won’t put any of you off following this blog, readers, if I share the odd recipe involving fish. Maybe some of you eat fish, too? Hopefully, no one will be offended by my decision. And perhaps my newfound interest in fish dishes might inspire some fab new recipes on ChefBeHere – fingers crossed!

--

How about that, readers? On a seemingly unremarkable mid-week morning, I have loads to be grateful for. And I bet you do, too! Maybe give this a go if you get a mo :)

AND, in the spirit of tasty food and drink, how about your Recipe of the Week, readers? Yeah! This week our recipe is inspired by a post from instagrammer @rhitrition, for Scrambled Eggs with Spinach, on Smoked Salmon Toast. Looked great on in Instagram… and tastes great in real life, too! Here’s the recipe in just ten simple steps…

--

Recipe: Scrambled Eggs with Spinach, on Smoked Salmon Toast

@rhitrition

1.     Half an hour or so before you’d like to eat, take your smoked salmon out of the fridge and leave on the side to warm a little, so it will be around room temperature by the time you take to the kitchen.

ChefBeHere Top Tip: I took my salmon out the fridge, then went on a run and showered, before I started cooking. I was running and dreaming of a salmony tea – good motivator.

2.     When you’re ready to cook, pop your phone on flight mode. Set some calming music playing, and have a big stretch out towards the ceiling. Open a window for some fresh air, and pour yourself a large drink. Much better.

3.     Begin by cracking both your eggs into a mug and adding a splash of milk. Stir together using a fork.

4.     Then, heat some olive oil in a saucepan and add a handful of spinach leaves.

5.     As your spinach leaves begin to wilt, pop two slices of bread in the toaster to toast.

ChefBeHere Top Tip: If you’re preparing this for breakfast or lunch, or you’d simply like a slightly lighter meal, then stick with one slice of toast.

6.     Once your leaves have begun to wilt, add your egg mix to the pan.

7.     Stir the contents of your pan with a fork until your eggs are scrambled, with spinach mixed in.

8.     Once your toast pops, transfer onto a plate and drape your toast with smoked salmon.

9.     Spoon your spinachy scrambled eggs over the toast, and season with salt and pepper.

ChefBeHere Top Tip: Add a little warm water to your pan now and leave to soak while you have your tea, to stop the egg mix from sticking.

10.  Tuck in while it’s warm! Enjoy a tasty tea of Scrambled Eggs with Spinach, on Smoked Salmon Toast.

NOM
--

That’s all there is to it, readers! Takes no time at all and you’ve put together a healthy, good tasting, colourful plateful of food. What do you think? I realise you have to be feeling a little loaded and reckless (I just got paid two days ago) to blow the budget on smoked salmon… but everyone deserves a treat once in a while and it’s still cheaper than eating out or ordering takeaway! I advocate a smoke salmon splurge every once in a while.

Because you're worth it!
Fifteen minutes of your time, a handful of ingredients, only one pan required… what’s not to love? What do you think, readers? Would you give this recipe a try? What do you make of the flavour combination? Would you see this maybe as more of a breakfast or lunch option, rather than a dish you’d prepare for dinner? Have you tried this recipe before?

Shout out! I’d love to hear all your thoughts on this recipe and, if you give it a try, do share how you get on in the kitchen. Otherwise, I’ll leave you to enjoy your Bonfire Night weekend, readers, and I’ll see you when I’m back from Spain. ¡AdiĆ³s!

Scramble safely,


Hayley



No comments:

Post a Comment