Sunday 31 December 2017

Reflecting on 2017

Hi readers,

I hope this finds you well. As I write, it’s the 31st December 2017 and, in less that twelve hours, we’ll begin the new year. Again, a year will have passed.

This afternoon, using Christmas money from grandparents, I treated myself to a back massage. To anyone about to end 2017 having not yet experienced a back massage, I will make it your new year’s resolution for you. Please, go have one. It’s a wonderful thing.

Today, especially, I enjoyed the neck part, where the masseuse somehow – using only a small circling motion on the base of the back of my neck – helped me to breathe the easiest I have in days, with a massive head cold.

It was glorious and I walked out of the wellness suite feeling light, and feeling calm. And reflective, I suppose, which has me hoping to find the words to end 2017 with.

How has your 2017 been, readers?

Honestly, I’d say mine has been a good year. 2016 was somewhat marred by a breakup in a text, and a close friend moving away. It was a year of moving out from my parents, again, but staying in the same city as them this time. Leaping from a job, to a graduate job. Beginning to feel more like a graduate. Discovering a new (and now treasured) yoga class.

I remember 2016 ending with fireworks and Robbie Williams singing on TV, at a party at a friend’s parents’ house. I think at the time I felt as though it had been a bad year, largely due to the texter. Looking back, I would perhaps amend to say it had been a good year. My friend, my job and my yoga class stand out as the highlights.

So, not bad at all. I can pick out three good, memorable things that happened in 2016, and I suppose that’s more than many people could say. So, I’m grateful. And grateful, very much for my 2017. How about you, readers?

Can you pick out the highlights of your year gone by?

Big Things happened for me, I would say.

- I moved house again (though not far)
- I celebrated my birthday with a weekend away with 13 friends
- I joined a book club
- I made new (good) friends
- I appeared in court (and lost belief in the justice system)
- I learned to drive
- And got my first car, Suzy Splash
- I rewarded myself with a new tattoo
- Then ran 10K, with support from friends and family
- I learned to knit, and have begun a blanket project
- I started eating fish (after about a decade off)
- I went on holiday alone to Barcelona (faith in humans: restored)
- And I got a pay rise at work (!)

It’s been a year of good health, of Big Things, and happy times. And who knows what the new year may hold, for any of us?

I’m hoping for good health and happy times, some more. There may not be so many Big Things to come, but I intend to enjoy the small things and make the most I can of the moments in every day. It’s nice to sit and reflect, at the end of the year, and then I want to look forwards in 2018.

How about you, readers? Besides the back massage, and some great tasting ChefBeHere recipes to try out, what might your 2018 hold?

Wishing you all the best for the new year,


Hayley



No comments:

Post a Comment