Monday 16 April 2018

A PACCHERI PASTA



Recipe of the week...
... Calamarata Pasta with Mushrooms, Beans and Greens


Ingredients: Extra-virgin olive oil, 1 small onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 bunch of Swiss chard, 225g mixed mushrooms, 240g cooked cannellini beans, 150g tomatoes, 450g calamarata pasta (or similarly thick, tubed pasta), salt and freshly ground black pepper

Serves: 4 bowlfuls of hearty Italian grub

Time taken: 45 mins-1 hr


Hi readers,

How are you all today??

The sun has come out! Barbecues and beer gardens and ice cream cabinets are a calling.. and everyone seems to have a spring in their step today. Has the sun got you in a good mood?


If it hasn’t already, I have a few recommendations from my last week or two which might take your week up a notch…

> CINEMA – A Quiet Place

Last week I bravely agreed to go see A Quiet Place at the cinema, as it was my other half’s turn to pick a flick, and he’s suffered a series of romantic films at home recently. So, off we went – with me thoroughly braced for a scaring. I picked up on the Twitter hype ahead of going and made sure I speedily ate my cinema snack before the film started…

And while I can’t say I enjoyed the film – I was on edge from start to finish – it was a good watch. An interesting premise and fine acting from Emily Blunt. I recommend you go see at the cinema for the surround sound experience, as I doubt it would make you jump in the same way at home. Overall – less scary and better done than I’d expected.



> MUSIC – Summery tunes

There seem to have been a few new tracks on the radio in the car lately, and the kind that have you dancing behind the wheel. I’m enjoying fresh, summery pop! My fave songs at the moment are…






> TV – The Bridge

FINALLY… it’s been announced the BBC will be screening Season 4 of The Bridge in May. That gives us approximately one month to catch up on the first three seasons, which have all been uploaded to iPlayer for just this reason. I started last night.



> BOOK – Milk & Honey

I was tired the other night and trying to fall asleep, and picked up Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur, which I’ve had by my bed for a while now waiting to be opened. In the end, I read the book of poetry from cover to cover and highly recommend! If you’re looking for thoughtful easy reading.. it made my evening. And I’m thinking about it still.



> RECIPE – Calamarata Pasta with Mushrooms, Beans, and Greens

My recipe of the week this week, readers, is one for a vegan Italian pasta dish. I found this recipe recently in a vegan magazine, dated from sometime in 2017, which I was leafing through in the waiting room at the blood donor centre, while there to give blood. It proved a handy distraction! And I took photos of the pages for this recipe to take away and try out at home – a Calamarata Pasta with Mushrooms, Beans, and Greens.

This recipe calls for a pasta called ‘calamarata’. I googled and, as the name implies, calamarata takes its name from calamari and is shaped like squid rings. It’s normally a little thick and often with a slightly rough surface, similar to paccheri but narrower, and comes from southern Italy. But I couldn’t find any! I did try but gave up in the end and used paccheri instead – ASDA Extra Special Mezzi Paccheri.


I also failed at sourcing Swiss chard – it’s not been my best effort this week, readers, in getting the right ingredients! Instead, I bought a pack of ASDA Grower's Selection Spring Greens – a bargain at just 69p for a 500g pack.

However you fare ingredient shopping, readers, as long as you find some ingredients remotely along the right lines, here’s the recipe in just eight simple steps…

--

Recipe: Calamarata Pasta with Mushrooms, Beans, and Greens

Ingredients: Extra-virgin olive oil, 1 small onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 bunch of Swiss chard, 225g mixed mushrooms, 240g cooked cannellini beans, 150g tomatoes, 450g calamarata pasta (or similarly thick, tubed pasta), salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:

1.     Somehow, get yourself in the mood for a proper Italian cooking session! Set some sunny music playing, pour a hearty glass of wine, maybe some olives to nibble on as you cook?

2.     First, begin with veg prep. Slice the onion, finely chop the garlic clove, roughly chop the Swiss chard and the mushrooms, peel the tomatoes and crush with a fork.

3.     Then heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan or wok. Fry the onion and garlic in the oil, then add the Swiss chard, season with salt and leave to fry lightly over a low heat for ten minutes, stirring every so often.

4.     Meanwhile, set a kettle boiling, then empty your pasta into a large saucepan of boiling water. Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain it when it is al dente, reserving the cooking liquid, and set aside.

5.     When your chard looks halfway done cooking, add the mushrooms and a little warm water, if needed, then cook covered until the chard and mushrooms are soft – it should take 15 minutes total.

6.     Next, add the beans to the pan and toss in the crushed tomatoes, then season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for another 10 minutes.

7.     Then tip the cooked pasta into the pan, stir to combine, and sauté it everything together for a few minutes. Add a little cooking liquid, if necessary, as it shouldn’t be too dry.

8.     Spoon your pasta out between four bowls and serve with a generous grinding of black pepper. Tuck in!


--

What do you reckon, readers? Might you give this recipe a try? It went down a storm at the weekend! I cooked for the Mr and made a real effort to dress up and lay the table and put out olives and wine… we had a lovely evening.



I will say – I added a little cooking liquid, as called for in Step 7, but definitely not enough. Our pasta was a bit on the dry side, as a result, and we’d homemade garlic bread but didn’t really have much to dunk it in as there wasn’t a lot by way of sauce.


BUT… that’s me knit picking. Overall, the dish was enjoyable to cook, and tasty and filling to eat. It was nice to try new and seasonal ingredients, and the dish came together as planned, and I managed to do this on a hangover so you DEFINITELY can!

Give this recipe a go, readers, and please let me know how you get on in the kitchen.

Have fun in the sun this week!

Sauté safely,

Hayley




No comments:

Post a Comment