Friday 9 January 2015

EAT CLEAN MINUS THE COST

Coconana Bran Muffins 
Time taken: 45 mins
Ingredients: 100g self-raising flour, 100g wheat bran, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, a big shake of cinnamon, 2 eggs, 3 bananas, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (!!!), a little flaked coconut and 4 tablespoons of honey.



Hi readers,
Sooo… it’s the end of the week! The end of the first week back to work / uni for a lot of us. We’ve made it! And ahead of us lies…. The weekend!!! Suddenly, we can appreciate this again. It’s back to being different to weekdays. Notice, all the days just blended before? Well, now, Saturday and Sunday have regained their special statuses as the saviours of our weeks. POWER TO THE WEEKEND.


So, last night in our house spirit levels were low. One of my flatmates has a really bad cough. One has been struggling with her revision schedule. One has to write an essay about teaching when she’s already decided she doesn’t want to teach. My final flatmate tried her first past paper yesterday and couldn’t answer any of the questions. I myself have eaten so many healthy foods that my face is an explosion. Not good.
Get off my face you evil
 
Obviously, with so much woe, baking was called for. Obviously, calories are a sensitive topic right now. Obviously, healthy baking was the way to go.
 
So, yesterday, I handed in my big piece of work I’ve been battling with. Whoo! Then me and Woody grabbed a Costa to celebrate (!!!) and I decided to mosey around town and window shop for a while. Work was off the agenda. Aaaand, before long, I ended up in Holland & Barrett. This always happens. And I was picking up some bargain dried fruit when I saw they’ve made a whole section now for natural baking ingredients! For real!
 
This section has things like malt extract (to make malt loaf), vegan flours and coconut stuff. And I always see coconut oil and butter listed as exotic ingredients on Instagram when people are making smoothies and high-energy baked goods. Along with things like cacao nibs, maca powder and hemp seeds. Ingredients where you’re like… what?

 
But my attention was caught and I was noseying. And saw that coconut oil costs over £15 at Holland & Barrett!! I was like WHAT. No way! This was an ingredient I was definitely outpriced for! I shuffled away quickly. Dejected.
 
Later, shopping in Tesco for regular things, I was back noseying at new shelves of things. They’ve got loads of cool, international foods in now. AND THEY HAVE COCONUT OIL FOR £2!!!
 
It’s like WHAT. How can an ingredient possibly cost £16.55 in one shop and £2.25 in another?? Madness!! But Tesco’s coconut oil was in my basket quicker than you can say ‘Fuck Holland & Barrett’. Read on to hear how I (excitedly) baked up a storm last night using coconut oil!
My new baby <3
 
Readers, here’s how you go about making Coconana Bran Muffins, in ten easy steps:

1. Turn on the radio and heat your oven to 180˚C.

2. Take out a muffin tray and line with 12 jazzy muffin cases.
 
3. Measure your flour, bran, baking powder and cinnamon into a mixing bowl. Stirrrrr!
 
4. Use a fork to mash together 3 bananas in a separate bowl.
 
5. Use your muscles to scoop a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil into a mug, and melt in the microwave for a minute.
 
6. Crack your eggs into another mug and spoon 4 tablespoons of honey in with them. Stirrrrr!
 
7. Add all of your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients. Stirrrrr!
 
8. Then, spoon big dollops of your brantastic mix into each muffin case, so that they’re all almost full.
 
9. Sprinkle a few flakes of coconut over the top of each one for decoration.
 
ChefBeHere Top Tip: You could use desiccated coconut instead or pieces of dried banana. Whatever floats your boat!

10. Safely transport your muffins into the oven to bake for 20 minutes, until they’re golden on top, and when you skewer one a knife comes out clean.

And there you have it! A batch of muffins brimming with goodness.
 
Leave them to cool for at least 20 minutes, then feed em to your hungry flatmates. Stick the remaining muffins in a Tupperware, and these babies can be munched on for days to come! Try heating them up in the microwave for a warming treat if your house gets chilly. :)
 
 
So, these muffins have been a big hit in the house! I really like them. They taste very fruity and they’re a substantial eat. And they feel really natural and diet-approved. Just all-round super. I wasn’t sure what my flatmates would think of the muffins. They’re not as squirrel-minded as I am, so I was worried. But I got positive reviews from everyone!! “Not too sweet” was a regular comment. But in a good way, I think. There were smiles . Some “mmm”-ing. Empty muffin cases.
 
 
Give these a go? Now you know you can get the ingredients for so cheap, you’re almost compelled to. Really. And there’s no butter or sugar in these muffins, so your belly NEEDS EM. And life is better with these muffins! Fill me in on what you think.
And have a peaceful weekend.
 
Bake safely,
Hayley
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment